College Preparatory School for Girls Grades 3-12

The Holton Fund FAQs

What is The Holton Fund?

The Holton Fund is the School's annual giving program and primary fundraising effort. Each year, The Holton Fund raises necessary funds that touch every student's life at Holton. These funds allow the School to maintain its high standard of academic excellence by providing funding for the School's most immediate needs.

Doesn't tuition cover all of the expenses of a Holton education?

No, tuition and fees cover approximately 75% of the School's annual operating budget. The remaining 25% comes from ancillary sources such as The Holton Fund, the School's endowment, Creative Summer, and other programs. Donations to The Holton Fund account for around 4.5% of the School's operating budget each year and play a critical role in making Holton the premier educational institution it is today.

Who is asked to give to The Holton Fund?

Everyone in the Holton community – trustees, alumnae, current families, faculty, staff, parents of our graduates, and grandparents – is asked to make a donation to The Holton Fund each year by June 30.

How much does Holton expect me to give?

Gifts of any size support the current school year and make a meaningful difference. Only you and your family can determine the appropriate amount, but we ask that you be as generous as possible. During the 2020-2021 academic year, 87% of our current parents participated in The Holton Fund. Any donation, no matter the size, makes a powerful statement on your belief and support of the mission of Holton-Arms.

How do I decide which initiative to support?

Between The Holton Fund, the Promise Campaign, and our spring fundraiser for financial aid, there are many ways to give back to Holton. The Holton Fund remains the School’s primary fundraising effort and we ask each family to participate in this effort first and foremost. If, in addition to The Holton Fund, you would like to support one of our other fundraising initiatives, we encourage you to choose what interests you the most and what you feel will have the most meaningful impact for your family.

What is the difference between The Holton Fund and capital/endowment gifts?

Gifts to The Holton Fund are solicited annually and fund the current year budget. Gifts to capital projects and the endowment through our Promise Campaign are generally larger—typically paid over three to five years—and fund long-term projects to ensure the future stability of the School.

What is considered a leadership gift?

Holton Fund gifts of $1,901 (the year of Holton’s founding) or more are considered leadership gifts. These donors become members of one of the following leadership groups within our 1901 Founders Society:

Head's Circle $25,000 and above
Bridge Builders $10,000 to $24,999
Della Robbia Circle $5,000 to $9,999
Granger House Circle $2,500 to $4,999
Holton-Arms Partners $1,901 to $2,499


How are donors and volunteers recognized?

All donors and volunteers are recognized annually in our online Report on Giving. Additionally, members of the 1901 Founders Society and donors who have cumulatively given $1,901 or more to the School (excluding auction purchases) are invited to the Philanthropic Leadership Reception with the Head of School and trustees in the fall of the following year. For those supporting the Promise Campaign, donors can choose to name endowed funds, faculty chair and instructor-ship positions, or physical spaces in the Learning Commons.