In August, you will have a carpool number assigned to your family and a placard mailed to your home. If you have more than one daughter in Lower School, your family will use the number assigned to your youngest daughter. At dismissal, please place your placard on the passenger side of the front windshield. Drop-off and pick-up will be at the Lower School Entrance.
- School begins at 8:00 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesdays.
- Students may be dropped at Lower School no earlier than 7:30 a.m. and may eat breakfast in the Dining Room until 10 minutes before the start of the school day. Lower School adults will supervise morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up, with the help of our sixth grade Safety Patrols. Please pay particular attention to their directions and refrain from using cell phones while driving on campus; this helps to maintain a safe and calm carpool atmosphere for our students. To make carpool run more smoothly, please remain in your car while dropping off or waiting for your daughter.
- The familiar saying in Lower School is “Late by eight!”—however, it is highly recommended for students to arrive by 7:50 a.m. to settle in and begin their first class or Gathering. Students who arrive after 8:05 a.m. should report to the Office to sign in late.On Wednesdays, this schedule is adjusted for a 9:00 a.m. opening.
- If your daughter will be absent or tardy, please notify the homeroom teacher and the Lower School Office at x6063 or by email. A doctor’s note is appreciated after your daughter returns from a medical appointment.
- On Monday through Thursday afternoons, carpool pick-up begins outside Lower School at 3:30 p.m. (regular carpool) and at 4:30 p.m. (after Homework Zone). On Friday afternoon, we have only one carpool dismissal, 3:30 p.m. Students not picked up by 3:50 p.m. after regular carpool will be sent to Homework Zone (or to Extended Day on Fridays); similarly, students not picked up by 4:50 p.m. after Homework Zone will be sent to Extended Day and current charges will apply.
- If your dismissal plans change (e.g. a different driver will be picking up or your student needs to attend Homework Zone or Extended Day), please notify the Lower School Office by phone (301) 365-6063 or email preferably before 2:00 p.m. Late-breaking emergencies can be expected so a notice to teachers and students will circulate immediately before dismissal to notify them of important changes to dismissal. Because students are not permitted to use their cell phones or their iPads for non-school related purposes during the school day, this is the surest way to communicate messages.
- If your daughter is carpooling with another student from the Middle or Upper School, the Middle or Upper School student should come to Lower School for carpool. Lower School students are only dismissed from Lower School unless they ride the bus.
- Parents should plan to pick up students after Ensemble from the Lower School Entrance. This allows students to pick up their backpacks and be supervised at all times.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.