Welcome to summer 2021! As you enjoy your vacation, we want to help guide your reading and thinking. This information explains the requirements for summer reading so that you will be prepared for your English class when you start school in the fall.
You are responsible for obtaining your own copy of the required book listed below unless otherwise noted - plus the summer reading group choice book. You should have read a total of five (5) new books by the first day of school in September. Keep a written list of the books you read and hand it to your English teacher when you return to school. We expect you to be very familiar with the required book because your teacher will want to discuss them with you.
1. Required Group Choice Reading
Each student will have one required Group Choice Reading Book. [Please refer to this presentation for more information]
About Group Choice Reading:
- Each student will choose their top 5 books from these options.
- You will be assigned one of the books at the end of May and will read it over the summer.
- In the fall, you will meet with other students and teachers who have read the same book and discuss it!
Please submit your top five choices using this form by Friday, May 15, 2021.
2. Required Grade Level Reading*
- English 7: Hiranandani, Veera The Night Diary ISBN: 978-0735228511
- English 8: Hinton, S. E. The Outsiders ISBN: 978-0-14-240733-2
*Please be sure to find the edition with the ISBN number indicated for ease of reference to the text in class.
3. Free Reading
Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy reading! Please choose an additional three (3) of your choice.