All students in grades 4 through 6 study an instrument and play in either the Band or String Orchestra.
Grade 3 students explore instruments through their general music class and select an instrument after 2 trimesters of instrument preview units.
Students new to Holton will receive a separate communication with information specific to registering for an instrument in September.
In addition to instrumental ensemble rehearsal during the school day, all fourth-grade students and any students in their first year of study (i.e. fifth and sixth graders new to the instrument) are required to take a group lesson after school that provides instruction for students on the same instrument and at the same level of experience. Group lessons are provided by the Music Department at no additional charge to families.
AFTER SCHOOL GROUP LESSON SCHEDULE 2021-2022
**Beginning September 27**
Monday 3:30-4:15 p.m.
- 1st & 2nd-year violins and violas
- 1st & 2nd-year flutes (any grade 4-6 student new to the instrument)
Monday 4:15-5 p.m.
- 3rd-year violins and violas wanting extra practice
- 1st-year trumpets, trombones, and baritones (any grade 4-6 student new to the instrument)
Tuesday 3:30-4:15 p.m.
- 1st & 2nd-year cellos and basses
- 1st-year clarinets and saxophones (any grade 4-6 student new to the instrument)
Tuesday 4:15-5 p.m.
- 3rd-year cellos and basses wanting extra practice
- 1st-year percussion (any grade 4-6 student new to the instrument)