The choral experience at Holton-Arms begins in fourth grade as an outgrowth of the general music program. Every student in grades 4-12 with the desire to sing can participate in a choral ensemble that rehearses within the school day.
Here students learn to breathe life into the musical notes on the printed page, to contribute to a collaborative and rigorous rehearsal process, to find their own voices through the music, to understand music as a reflection of society, to acquire the skills for expressive musical performance, and to build a cohesive ensemble.
The work of the Holton choruses culminates in at least two concert appearances each year. Their music is also woven into the fabric of community life throughout the school year such as the Thanksgiving Assembly, Alumnae Reunion, Admissions Open House, and Commencement. Singers also have opportunities to participate in All State Chorus sponsored by the Maryland Music Educators Association.
Performance Opportunities include:
- Lower School Art Share
- Upper School Independent Schools Choral Festival at the Washington National Cathedral
- Middle & Upper School Winter Choral Concert
- Lower School National Cathedral School Choral Festival
- Upper School Independent Schools Vocal Ensemble Night for small ensembles
- Upper School Spring Choral Concert
- Lower & Middle School Spring Choral Concert