We are proud to be one of the only schools in the Washington, D.C. area with nearly 40% cultural diversity. Of course, culture is not the only way in which we measure diversity. A diverse community provides for diversity of thought, identity, and experience that stimulates new ways of thinking and actively demonstrates respect for differences, moral courage, and appreciation for common ground.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
The Holton-Arms community recognizes and values the uniqueness of each of its members including current and former students, faculty, and staff. We strive to create an inclusive environment that sees and supports diverse identities and experiences, cultivates engaged and civil discourse, and empowers our students to be thriving members of the global community.
At Holton-Arms, each of us is responsible for fostering an equitable, respectful, and just community. Holton is committed to helping its members
- Discover, develop and value their full authentic selves.
- Deepen awareness of one’s own personal and systemic biases and be accountable for the impact of one’s words and actions on others.
- Develop an understanding of the historical origins and perpetuation of systems of power and privilege.
- Engage in open and brave conversations that promote growth, understanding, connection, and agency.
- Be advocates for supporting the diverse identities of others in the community.
- A Board of Trustees which is inclusive in its membership and provides the leadership necessary for fostering an equitable and just school community.
- A diverse school community that encourages all of its members (students, parents, faculty and staff ) to develop mutual respect, integrity, moral courage, and civility through discourse, teamwork, and a variety of community experiences.
- A curriculum which is broad and inclusive.
- Increased participation of alumnae of all backgrounds to participate in the life of the School, to support one another, and to mentor current students.
- Provision of the training and skills necessary to achieve these goals.